The Complete Fan's Guide To Pro Cycling
GCN Presents THE COMPLETE FAN’S GUIDE TO PRO CYCLING By Peter Cossins, the award-winning cycling author explains the different races, gives insight to the many types of rider and reveals the tactics that go into making today’s top-level bike racing work.
Superficially, bike races are simple: all the riders set off together and the first across the finish line wins. But scratch the surface and there are myriad stories, specialisms and sub-competitions to enrich our experience – and perhaps – confuse us. We’ll explain how it works, and what to look out for.
- Over 230 pages packed with essential insight to get the most from watching pro cycling
- From the Classics and Monuments to the Grand Tours and beyond, the entire race season is detailed and explained
- Comprehensive guide to understand teams and riders. From the domestique to the sprinter, the time trial specialist to the rouleur this is your guide to understand the roles of everyone in the team and what it takes to get on the podium
- Exclusive insight from the riders themselves, including Mark Cavendish (sprinter), Dowsett (time trial specialist), George Bennett (climber), Michael Wood (Classics specialist), Lucinda Brand (CX racer) Geraint Thomas (Tour de France winner) Michał Kwiatkowski (one-day races), Michael Mørkøv (lead-out specialist), Alessandro De Marchi (breakaway star) and Ashleigh Moolman Pasio (Esports champion), all these and more providing you with a unique understanding of their specialism
- Answering all your questions about the business end of the sport. How much do riders earn, how teams are financed, what is the prize money and how different team budgets affect the sport
- The innovations in cycling explained, and how new technologies are affecting the sport for riders and fans. A historic and comprehensive guide to the bikes ridden by today’s best pro’s giving you everything you need to understand the bikes and technology that you see win the world’s biggest races
- From stage races to one-day classics, the tactics change for every race and every team. Whether it be a day for the sprinters or the climbers, a chance for the break or a crucial stage for the GC Contenders on the road bikes or in a time trial, you’ll find everything you need to know to understand the race tactics that the teams and riders use to finish on the podium
- Secrets from inside the peloton reveal some amazing facts. From how much do riders train to how many calories do they consume in a race through to the weird rituals of some riders and the training secrets of the pro’s giving you a unique insight into these amazing athletes
GCN Presents THE COMPLETE FAN’S GUIDE TO PRO CYCLING By Peter Cossins, the award-winning cycling author explains the different races, gives insight to the many types of rider and reveals the tactics that go into making today’s top level bike racing work.
Professional cycling is amazing and unique. “The toughest sport” employs the latest technology and sports science, and demands the highest levels of effort and commitment – yet exists in a culture steeped in history, romance and legend, with language and conventions that transcend time. Superficially, bike races are simple: all the riders set off together and the first across the finish line wins. But scratch the surface and there are myriad stories, specialisms and sub-competitions to enrich our experience – and perhaps – confuse us. We’ll explain how it works, and what to look out for.
A hugely respected cycling author, Peter has been writing professionally about our sport since the early 1990s, reporting on races, interviewing the sport’s biggest stars, and writing detailed and award-winning books to explain – and extend the appeal of – men’s and women’s road racing to a growing global audience. Here he shares his access and expertise with the GCN team and audience to bring a fresh insight in THE COMPLETE FAN’S GUIDE TO PRO CYCLING.
“Peter has an incredible ability to explain and illuminate the complexities of top-level bike racing in an engaging but accessible way – THE COMPLETE FAN’S GUIDE TO PRO CYCLING will take you deeper into our sport than ever!”
Dan Lloyd, GCN Director of Racing
- Pages: 244 (120gsm)
- Size: 246mm (h) x 189mm (w)
- Cover: Paperback
- Cover Finish: 280gsm, with anti-scuff matte laminate and spot UV gloss finish
- Weight: 700g approx.
- Over 230 pages that will help you enjoy pro cycling even more
Free Royal Mail Tracked Delivery when you spend £50 (Delivered within 2-3 business days)
Royal Mail Tracked 2nd Class: £3.99 (Delivered within 2-3 business days)
Royal Mail Tracked 1st Class: £5.99 (Delivered within 1-2 business days)
Express Next Day Tracked & Signed: £7.99 (Delivered within 1-2 business days)
Please note: all standard deliveries are made Monday - Saturday.
Free Tracked delivery to Europe when you spend over €150
Free Tracked delivery to the USA when you spend over $150
Free Tracked delivery to Canada when you spend over CA$175
Free Tracked delivery to Australia when you spend over AU$175
Please note: orders are dispatched from the UK. International orders are subject to local import taxes. Please check with your local customs authority for the latest rates.
If you change your mind about an off-the-shelf, non-customised item, we offer a very simple no-quibble returns policy.
Please make sure:
You contact us within 14 days of receiving your order.
They are returned to us within 30 days of receiving your request to return.
They are returned to us in perfect condition.
The packaging must be intact as we would love to sell the item again
Full details can be found on our returns page